Thursday, February 23, 2006

Back ain't broke yet?

... well, here's a hilarious twist on the award-winning love story by Ang Lee.

Brokeback To the Future ~~ starring Michael J. Fox.

I've had a thing for Heath Ledger ever since I saw him in the brilliant and original A Knight's Tale in 2001. I've followed his career ever since. So this newest achievement was like the consummation of a secret love affair for me, like all that I’ve felt in my gut about the young actor was validated by this daring role. It's a love story like no other … but a love story none-the-less. I’ve been hearing some rabble-rabble that if it were two black men sneaking away from their wives to be together, it would have been a nefarious tale with dark landscapes, gloomy themes, and a cautionary subtext for black women to 'wrap it up' ... and not a visually stunning tale of a love that spanned decades. You know what? So what. It certainly would have been a different Click to Enlargestory with black men. Same Gender Love is just begining to gain its flava on the big screen ... there are millions of our stories to tell, each adding its own nuance to the pot. This movie is a first of its kind, and could be celebrated for that aspect alone. But it is also a four star cinematic creation, which I enjoyed immensely. I laughed. I cried. I needed a cigarette after. And I don’t care what it would’ve been if they had been black. It is what it is. A first. Homo's ain't just hair-dressers and ballet dancers ... they're cowboys too. And for that matter, they're also football players and rap stars ... and the occasional Grammy Award-winning, Pentecostal homophobe preacher ('Sup Hez?).

Like dominoes the stereotypes and hypocrisies are toppling. But its gotta be one by one, 'cause that's just the way it is. We'll get our 'Black' Brokeback, no doubt ... but right now we're just beginning to see black male performers willing to confront homophobia publically. Because if nobody has officially made the announcement yet ... let me:

Playing gay (and gay-friendly) is now officially in vogue. First there was Kanye West ... then there was Raz B (check out his interview with Pink Mafia Radio) ... and then little Ray J climbed onto the wagon (don't know what happened with that) ... Taye Diggs kissing a white boy (naturally ... more rabble-rabble) ...

... and now Tyson Beckford's Red Party in DC.

And of course, the rumors will circulate ... have been all along. But I don't care about their true sexualities. Support is what I care about.

As long as they support us, we'll support them. Period.

And look at that man ... supporting him ain't hard at all.

2 comments:

chrome said...

ain't seen the movie but wifey's seen it and she liked it. so cowboy genre revival with a twist eh? john wayne will be spinning in his vault :)

I'm laughing hard at "nefarious tale with dark landscapes". nothing new there. anything black people do always draws dem connotations.

1

SGL Café.com said...

hey, my favorite nasty boy, I bet you would give drama.