Sunday, September 25, 2005

Choppin' Locks & Buggin' Out ... Rashid Darden (author of Lazarus) was lamenting whether to cut his locks off. I had to reply:
Rashid ... ... can you say, Strummin' my pain? You seriously did, more than you could ever know. And let me get this out of the way first ... i saw the Touré pic and thought he was the friend you were talking to for a second. God ... I have this lust/loath relationship for him. He bashed Michael Jackson in an interview once (i don't cotton to MJ bashing, mind you, I don't care how crazy he is), and in spite of the fact that I wanna lick him from head to toe endlessly (Touré pictured left, not Michael) ... he still annoys the hell outta me. My fortieth birthday is looming like the end of summer and I'm going on a cruise to mark the event. I'd also planned to cut my hair completely off and start this next phase of my life completely anew ... and cue-ball bald. It's made me face the reasons why I've had the hair for over a decade, and why its admittedly become my trusty security blanket ... to dangle in my face when I'm feeling insecure or just can't stand people ... which is most of the time. A Jamaican guy at my gym told me that anyone who cuts his dreads after having them a long time will go crazy. I've given this some thought and certainly believe it has some truth. Will I continue to sweep the phantom locks out of my face? Will I crave their scratchy presense in moments of anxiety like a cocktail and a Newport? Not having the smooth Michael Jordan type dome, will I feel even more insecure than I did before when people see my large head shining in the sunlight? And lastly, will I look down at all that hair on the floor ... hair that's been with me through countless boyfriends and lovers and high and lows ... and suddenly regret cutting it? Regardless of the answers, this January before I leave I plan to do it. Whatever emotional changes I go through, however traumatic, whatever emotional shit gets stirred will be what I need to go through to get to my next level. I'll have a week of sailing around the Caribbean to tan my dome and get used to the feeling of no-hair amongst strangers, before coming home and facing familiar circles, and no doubt, critics. I think as an artist I need to be naked before the world, come what may. I can't hide in my hair cocoon forever. It's time to grow. I just hope I don't wuss out. Good luck with your decision.

8 comments:

E said...

That's a pretty big step Taylor. In a lot of ways, deciding to go bald is like the beginning of a new phase. I take it we'll have our critics no matter what we do in life. I say this but know I have my own decisions to make one day and I have to accept that some people won't like the choices I make. But it's my life.

And whether you decide to do this or not, it's your life!

SGL Café.com said...

yeahk, its a big frightening, 'cause once its done its done.

I think I'm gonna do a photo blog of the experience, right here at SGL cafe. So stay tuned.

SGL Café.com said...

don't sweat it, alonzo ... I have a devil of a time keepin up with all the blogs I love.

thats a great idea! i think im gonna bring in a friend on this endeavor. I think video taping me before, during, and the 'dreaded' aftermath would be awesome.

Thanks for the cool idea. my brain is awash with possibilities now ....... hmmmm.

E said...

I don't know if I could take all the anguished screams..:-)

SGL Café.com said...

don't worry E ... for you and only you, I promise to mute them to little pained whimpers ....

Clay said...

i was considering cutting my locs off, but i felt like i would be cutting off a limb so i kept them!

Grinder said...

I am in the process of growing locks right now. So for me the idea of cutting them off is far and away. I promised myself to give them at least 4 years to grow.
I guess you can think of cutting off your locs as starting anew. When people cut thier locks alot of the time they look drastically different.
After putting all that time and effort into your locks, it may feel like cutting off limbs. But it's your hair man it's all up to you.

Don't you think nappy hair is the shit, there is so much you can do with it.

the young people's professor said...

funny post. toure's a good friend. nice guy---married too.