Wednesday, September 21, 2005

I've come to believe ... over and over again, what is most important to me must be spoken, made verbal and shared even at risk of having it bruised or misunderstood. The speaking itself profits me beyond any other effect. The weight of our silence will choke us. So, I speak ..as an attempt to break that silence and bridge some of those differences between us ... for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence. And there are so many silences to be broken. ~~ Audre Lorde
The self-described "Black lesbian, mother, warrior, poet".
Audre Geraldine Lorde was a critically acclaimed novelist, poet and essayist. She was born on February 18, 1924 in Harlem and died on November 17, 1992.

3 comments:

X said...

Thanks for sharing that quote, man. Good stuff!

Harold Gibson said...

Taylor: I love that quote, because it points out why somethings can't just be felt, or understood. They need to be said. We need people who love us to speak that love into our lives and by the same token those that we love we need to tell them.

I really appreciate that she said even if the words are bruised and misunderstood.

One of the problems with the world is that we are so tight and so cautious and so fearful of doing the wrong thing that we do nothing and oft times nothing is the wrong thing.

I love the spirit of your blog thanks for sharing it.

SGL Café.com said...

Thanks for that Harold ...

and thanx for your participation and insightful comments. I appreciate them more than I can say.