Friday, October 28, 2005

"I'm a FAGGOT ...." ... that was the subject line of the email below from this sweet young college student of slight stature. Let's call him Zamir for now. He granted me permission to post it here.
After reading this ... can you comment on what's at the root of these sudden attacks of homophobia that our young men are prone to?
What can be done about it? And what advice would you give Zamir?
~~
Taylor ...
Tonight I decided to journey to the mall with a friend. We opted to take the train home, and then to transfer to a bus that drops directly off at our stop. Upon waiting for the bus, we decided to grab something quickly from McDonald's. I'm standing in line, directly at the counter, and without even having seen my face, I can hear this wannabe thug mumbling to his friend, sayin shit like,
"I hate faggots. Damn I can't stand that shit. He betta not even look this way..." I hear his friend mumble, "Yo, that's rude." He responds, "I don't give a fuck. I hate that shit." Just to verify that I'm not losing my mind, I do a quick turn with my head. I hear him say to his friend, "That's right. Muthafucker betta turn around. Damn that sissy shit." I whispered the ongoing situation to my friend because he was oblivious to the whole thing. I elbow him slightly, "Damn, I wish someone had taught my ass how to fight, or I wish something was in sight and I was slightly more ghetto because I'd turn around and whoop some tacky thug ass." He's lost, and I tell him to listen closely to the mumbles behind us. A few minutes later, we're standing toward the exit on the lookout for the bus. They're on their way out, and the dude who's been doing all the talking, his friend just partially giggling, says, "Look at him, even got his dress boots on...look at those heels, nigga." He turns back, looks at us, and says "faggot ass muthafucka," and then he runs out of the store with his friend laughing along with him. Thankfully, it wasn't loud and the restaurant only had the employees in there. I guess that's the cost me wearing a track jacket that's completely zipped, collar naturally popped, black dress shirt underneath, Diesel bootcut khakis, and contemporary black pointed toe dress shoes that look like boots. Maybe I should wear trade gear??? Hmm...guess it's just the cost of me being thin and well dressed. [Zamir] ~~
I have my feelings on the subject, but I wanna know what you think this time.

4 comments:

That Dude Right There said...

This has happened to everybody that I know of. It even happened to me when I wore a "Gay P.I.M.P" t-shirt once. As long as a muthafucka doesn't put his hands on or near, me I try not to say or do anything.

BuddahDesmond said...

Stories like this just support the love/hate relationship I have with people in general. The line between the two seems to be getting thinner and thinner. The comments the fake thug made are just ludicrous, and further proof of his cowardice. They say ignorance is bliss, I guess in this instance wannabe-thug qualifies as being bliss. I'm a firm believer that sometimes you just need to keep certain comments like these to yourself.

I hope and pray that we as a race of people get to a point where things like appearance, way of dress, race, sexual orientation, etc., are no longer issues. I agree with brocka2006 that if you're comfortable within yourself, comments like these wont affect you. But one thing is for sure, whatever comes out of your mouth says a whole lot about you and your character.

Avowed_Southern_Democrat said...

You did the right thing by leaving it alone. But take some self-defense classes because some of these homophobes will try you, especially if you don't respond to their taunts.

soforeal said...

I get alot of stares from men when I ride public transporation in Atlanta. Because the down low community is so big out here I sometimes wonder if they tryin me or lustin for me. I mean WTF if you gonna stare, say something, dam!

But then if they are around they're boys I see alot of them picking on the feminine ones and its really just for show so they can show off to the females. Its a bunch of BS if u ask me

you did the right thing by just ignoring them. i mean honestly, are you really going to fcuk them all up and are you going to fight every time this happens. its too many ignorant people in the world and your maturity in just walking away the better person is much appreciated in society

You should only resort to violence if they put they hand on you or threaten your life so I do suggest you take a few practice swings with one of ur homebois when u get the chance.