Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Luther Vandross: The Straight-Washing of an SGL Legend

I got a little heated this morning with the women of Crunk & Disorderly over Chris Crain's Washington Blade article called The Straight-Washing of Luther Vandross. I was ready to be annoyed by the Blade's white columnist's take on the subject, but once again, it is my people, descendents of slaves, who piss me off the most. After expressing a slight detachment from the reality of Luther's sexuality and trashing the blade article, they went on to make light of the author's (Crain's) beating at the hands of gay bashers in Amsterdam two months ago ... even posting pictures of his battered face. Here is the comment I left behind ...

"My people ... ... Why do we get our draws in a knot when the subject of Luther's sexuality is broached. Stevie Wonder could see Luther was gay. Get over it already. This article, to me, did not accuse Luther of having AIDs ... it only pointed out the fact that the Washington Post had. And this one section ...

“You’re trying to zero in on something that you are never gonna get,” laughed Vandross. “Look at you, just circling the airport. You ain’t never gonna land.” Let it be noted that in the history of humanity, no straight man — and certainly no straight African-American man — has ever refused to say whether he’s straight or gay.

... says it all. And he's right, African American men especially are much too afraid of appearing weak to EVER refuse to answer that question. Which makes gay ol' Luther a helluva lot more man than most. I applaud him for at least not lying about it. Luther is one the greatest artists who ever lived ... if his sexuality diminishes that fact in your ideology, then you need to check yourself. And one more thing, I love your BLOG ... its witty, insightful and informative ... but making light of a man, any man, being battered for walking down the street with his partner by a group of violent homophobes (bigots) is beneath you. Descendents of slaves should know better than to look down their noses at anybody. " ~~ TS

I've had a really hard time with Luther's passing. And I felt guilty for not writing about it ... I felt guilty for not caring that Luther never stood up and sang gay & proud, which is a courtesy I don't extend to any other SGL individuals (especially those in positions of visibility). Why was Luther the exception to my out-and-in-their-face rules I've ranted about for years? I can't answer that question now because it would require some serious introspection and a lot of coffee. Maybe another time. But today's Crunk was the kick in the ass I needed to speak on the subject at all ... if only about not being able to. But what the hell is up with black women getting twisted over Luther's gayness? Has the man-pool evaporated so that fantasy is better than nothing? This Homophobia in our community is a killer disease that's spreading rapidly, and eating away at all that is good in those afflicted. Crunk & (quite) Disorderly is just the latest malignancy to bubble to the surface.
~~~~~~~~~~~

1 comment:

SGL Café.com said...

so true, Chris ... so true.

Some artists transcend the mundane bullshit. Luther was definitely one of them.