Friday, July 15, 2005

Raz B Rockin' Black Gay Pride ...

... And ain’t got sense enough to be ‘shamed.
Everyone’s heard by now. I’ll tell you again though, exactly why I believe this gig is good for him … for us … and for everybody. When I first heard that Raz-B was slated to perform at Oakland’s Black Gay Pride, my first thought was … I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT! But I quickly calmed down, because my rational mind knows that performing for a gay audience in no way makes the boy gay, and I didn’t relish being like so many others quick to paint with the fag brush. But damn, I couldn’t help wondering, what if he is? What if Raz-B {who, along with his B2K cohorts, tapped into my inner perv the moment I saw their little jailbait asses gyrating on MTV} ... really was down? What if he came out openly and said, “Yeah I’m gay … so fuckin' what?” So what? I’ll tell you so what. Because of the pressure on African-American males {coming mostly from within our community} to be the best, the strongest, the fastest, the straightest … to identity as homosexual is to identity with all that is opposite of what a man allegedly is … and against everything their mamas raised them to be. I was listening to a CD just the other day by ADODI Muse: A Gay Negro Ensemble. Titled: Ain’t Got Sense Enuf to be ‘Shamed ... that line rang in my head bringing back memories of my grandmother saying the very same thing. She wasn’t talking to me personally, and I was too young at the time to really grasp what she was saying, and doing. She was referring to my aunt’s effeminate boyfriend. I couldn’t figure out why my grandmother hated him with such passion, nor why she called him “that he-she thing. But sadly, she did call him that, and she did say that phrase every time he left the house. “Lord hav’ mercy,” she’d shake her head and say, “And he ain’t got sense enough to be ‘shamed.” Yeah, he should’ve been ashamed. How dare he be the person he was born to be? There was also a time (I’m sure my grandmother would remember) when black people couldn’t look a white person directly in the eyes, we had to cower, humble ourselves … in other words, we had to be just a little bit ashamed … for breathing the same air, for simply existing on the planet. Even my grandmother, may she rest in peace, must have known how dehumanizing that was, and that everyone has a right to walk the streets, to hold their heads up, and to unashamedly just BE. This post started out as a nod to a hot little shorty with the balls to buck convention, an excuse for me to pepper my BLOG with imagery of his sexy little ass. But as my fingers moved they dug through old wounds, stirred up shit about my people, black people, which pisses me off to no end, and forced my lascivious nature, temporarily, into the backseat. Descendents of slaves should know better than to discriminate. But we don’t. It seems like we are just as ignorant as when we spent our days in the sun picking cotton for free, mumbling to a higher power busy doing other things. Descendents of slaves should have sense enough to not look down their noses at any other man.

And yet …

when I Googled the subject of Raz B being gay, I found the most backward, ignorant, bigoted statements from descendents of slaves, whose ancestors hung from trees, bloated and twisted, all because they didn’t have sense enough to be appropriately ashamed of themselves ... just for being born. Okay. I’m gonna climb down from my pulpit and get back to the point. Whether Raz-B is gay or not is so irrelevant. If he does not buckle to the pressure that he must be under and go through with this performance … AND … if he responds to personal questions the way Luther Vandross did, with a simple, ‘That’s none of your business’, then he will gain so much more than he ever had before. Yeah, he’ll lose some fans. But they were never really in his corner to begin with. However, the new fan base will consist of, first ... Same-Gender-Loving men who, unfortunately, are starved for an SGL luminary and itching to throw some of their disposable income in his direction, and second ... younger fans, even younger than him, emboldened by his unprecedented and ballsy move back into the spotlight. Even if he is straight … but proves to be strong enough, straight enough, to deal with being painted with that fag brush the Hip-Hop media and his peers love to brandish as if it’s a weapon, we will support him in droves with a loyalty, an homage that his former fickle teeny-bopper fans never could have bestowed. I’d personally bow down and anoint his feet with oil. Okay … I’m drifting toward nasty now … but after all, that was my original intent. I just hope that Raz goes through with this and lets all the gay innuendo slide right off his back {ooh … there I go again}, because it may energize and awaken SGL artists who are currently on the charts, bribing and conniving to keep their secrets. Seeing one little man take on the homophobic monster that the industry has become, may inspire them to stand up and be counted ... finally.

Will the Hip Hop media rip little Raz a new one for daring to align himself with fags? Or is this the beginning of a new revolution in the music biz, one that sees that a black man can be gay, or in league with gays, and still be marketable? A new renaissance of sorts, where black gay and male, actually fit for the bean counters? It's all supposition. Is he, isn't he? Will he, won't he? Will other's in the biz support him? Will we?

That's a lot of pressure on his cute little shoulders, I know, attempting to start a revolution with a questionable outcome.

Time will tell. But one fact is certain. You can't possibly have a real renaissance, or revolution … without a bunch of fags in the mix.

12 comments:

Kevin E. Taylor said...

So Poignant!
So Insightful!
and
SO REAL!

Taylor (SAME AS MY LAST NAME, SO I ALREADY LOVE YOU!), thanks for those words. You are so on point in every direction. The initial sound of the notice--SEXY LI'L RAZ-B AT A BLACK PRIDE--sparks all kinds of images, but then...IT KICKS IN...all the voices and vices that we have and say about ourselves and what does it say about him connecting with us in the first place. IT SAYS THAT THE YOUNG MAN HAS SOME SENSE AND SOME SENSE OF HIMSELF! Having worked with him and his former partners in B2K, I always found DeMario to be SMART! This only proves it. HE'S TESTING ALL OF THE WATERS AND I AIN'T MAD AT HIM, CUZ HE'S GOT SENSE ENUF TO NOT BE 'SHAMED!

Kevin

P.S. Have always loved your writings, Taylor, and now its great to see you have a Blog and a site. Favorites will be your new seat at my online table!

SGL Café.com said...

Thanks RevKev ...

... I really appreciate the props, and the comments. So far, I get a lot of voyuers with nothing to say. Oh well, maybe I'm not offensive enough.

:o)

SGL Café.com said...

You can't be too analytical, I believe. And yes, GLBT is typed correctly (your FAG-STAG badge is in the mail), though I prefer SGL because it's our term. The GLBT community doesn't always have room for voice of color (such a shame, but that's another post).

But I really don't think the gossip well discourage anyone who wasn't already prone to be spine-less. Think about it. B2K's sexuality has been gossiped about since day one (remember B2gay). I truly believe the ones who do step up, the straight ones, will be rewarded in the long run for their courage.

SGL Café.com said...

chrisbilal ... i've been perusing your stuff (cyber stuff), and its good your inquisitive enough to ask questions about such a sensitive subject. same-gender-loving is not just a black thing ... but its a gay black thing which explains its obscurity. google it, you'll get nothing, or next to nothing.

Your generation, your Young Liberals, are gonna change things. It's common knowledge that if a person is comfortable with his or her sexuality (as u seem to be), then the next persons shouldn't bother them one iota.

And just think ... two days ago I wanted to kick your ass. now i'm like a proud papa. can i adopt you?

SGL Café.com said...

Damn son ...
I don't know what to say to that. I'm rarely, if ever, speechless ... but your depth is truly blowing me away.

Keep your mind and heart open. To quote Auntie Mame (i hate quoting classic movies because it is such a stereotypically fag thing to do, but nevertheless) ... "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!"

I love that quote, and try to live my life by it. You should too.

Anonymous said...

Raz-B needs lipo onhis lips

Anonymous said...

I think that RAZ-B is going to be a new wave of entertainers that are going to be open the world to compassion. I think that being young in the music industry will make one mature faster than then their normal peers. But the key thing is that the event is going to make a lot of money, for one people will pay, just to have the scoup on others. It is a shame that we are so nosy like that. We can never allow people their space. However I know a lot people in the music industry, and they are private with their preference.

SGL Café.com said...

thanx for the comment ...

so, can i take it that you're in the music biz? Do tell. Can you give us any stories? (no names necessary)

Anonymous said...

Well Taylor, I know a lot people in the industry, especially gosple artists. However it is hard to be real, when you have the spot light, incresaed with a magnifying glass, making it a hot and trying times for bi or gay artists. I think that RAZ B and others are making a strong statement. First of all Music is unverisal, and it used to unite and set the tone of an envirnoment. We allow our owe issues to block people who are trying to unite people together in brotherhood.

--
RJ

SGL Café.com said...

hey RJ ...

hmmm, those initials ... RANDY JACKSON? Is that you? Or maybe the other Randy Jackson, you know, the one who's brother can't stop grabbing little 'things'.

Music is universal and should unite. Since you are in the biz, maybe you can subtly remind folks that hip-hop began as a voice expressing justifiable urban angst. And the best of the best really poured out their pain.

Now, it should be understandable, (with gay hip-hop & spoken word artists like baron.) that these SGL performers are expressing themselves in a way that is not only justifiable ... but also fueled by enough rage to reach the stratosphere.

The best of the best in the art world are usually the one's tortured the most.

Using that logic, I predict our maligned SGL community will produce (and already secretly have produced) super-stars like no other.

SGL Café.com said...

lol. Randy Jackson, the pudgy judge on American Idol.

Oh well, I guess Randy's not as famous as he thinks he is.

You keep doin' all you can kid. We will get there. It's in the cards.

Anonymous said...

Thank you!
I have read so many negative comments about Raz supporting the gay community.
With his upcoming guest spot on Noah's Arc in August these rumours are gonna start all over again.
Like someone already said music is universal, and that's how Raz describes his music and his outlook on life.
Raz isn't gay, he loves the ladies you know...but he has love for everyone regardless of sexuality, religion or race and he, like a lot of us, doesn't understand why people can't open their minds.
He was offered a guest spot in Noah's Arc and he took it, it's showing he's supporting a cause and it's publicity for him and for the show, he has a boyfriend in the episode but he made it clear no kissing scenes or anything of that nature.
What's suprised me most about people's reactions is it seems to be even more so gay people that are judging him for it and presuming he's gay.
Listen to his song Kill for the money on his myspace www.myspace.com/razme
That should clear up any doubts anyone has!