Monday, August 22, 2005

Down Low Guy ...

So it begins ... I've expected Kanye to be added to the list of usual suspects since his ballsy statement against homophobia in hip-hop. And as usual, the lady at Crunk & Disorderly, with her unruly little mind and typical homophobe swing ... provided me this little montage. I got a guilty giggle out of it though.
Update: 8/23/2005 ... A note from Crunk & Disorderly's own ... da lovely, Fresh.

Hmm, I don't know if I should feel insulted or what? My mind is far from little and I'm far from being homophobic. I hope that you don't get it twisted and think that all I do is pick at gay people all day or something because I don't. But if you got a laugh out of it my mission was successful. Diddy just wants to make people dance and I want to make them laugh. Is it a crime?-- Posted by Fresh to SGL Café ... at 8/22/2005

Fresh ... There was no disrespect intended. Okay, maybe ... just a little. I love your site and what you're doing with it ... but the first time I went to 'Crunk', I saw the pics of that reporter who wrote the Washington Blade piece on Luther Vandross, battered and bruised after being attacked in Amsterdam with his lover. Although I could accept your dislike of his article, though i agreed with it ... what got under my skin was that you made light of a terrible crime ... a terrible hate crime at that. Imagine being on vacation and a mob attacks you for holding hands with your Boo. There is just nothing funny about bashing, gay or otherwise, even if the victim is a certified asshole. Since then ... I've perused your site regularly, but always on the look-out for the blatantly homophobic fax paus. As SGL citizens of this country, we have enough trouble fighting the lunatic Fred Phelps' of the world and our own Black ministers preaching hate and intolerance from pulpits designed to teach love and acceptance, without suffering additional crap from people who claim to have nothing against homosexuals. You're either against discrimination or you're not. There's no straddling the fence ... there's no saying ... "I've got nothing against gays but ...." SGL men and women are being harassed and even killed by small minds fueled by this rhetoric. But hatemongers make their positions clear, and thus we know that the only way to pry open minds that closed ... is with a crowbar. It's subtle disrespect that's more dangerous for its sneakiness and ability to subvert thought unnoticed. The little things that average people do and say ... the little quips and comments average bloggers put on the web ... matter a great deal. ~~ tS

6 comments:

Fresh said...

Hmm, I don't know if I should feel insulted or what? My mind is far from little and I'm far from being homophobic. I hope that you don't get it twisted and think that all I do is pick at gay people all day or something because I don't.


But if you got a laugh out of it my mission was successful. Diddy just wants to make people dance and I want to make them laugh. Is it a crime?

SGL Café.com said...

No ... its not a crime, babe. I just couldn't let it go without a little swipe though .... ;o)

Your BLOG is still one of my guiltier pleasures ....

Fresh said...

>>There was no disrespect intended. Okay, maybe ... just a little.

Hmm, say no more.

SGL Café.com said...

Ooh ... good one.

Fresh said...

check your email.

Clay said...

this is HILARIOUS ... and my new favorite blog!